Planning the family vacation can be quite a challenge. This is especially true when you’re trying to fit in the best attractions and give your kids the vacation of a lifetime while staying within a budget. How can you accomplish all that and still keep your kids happy?
The solution is simple, yet brilliant: Let your kids be a part of planning that vacation!
This way, they’ll be the making many of the choices, thus eliminating the usual complaints and groans about your chosen attractions. Plus, your job will be that much easier. As an added bonus, your kids will learn invaluable lessons about budgeting and making choices.
The plan before the plan
- Several weeks before your planned vacation, hold a family meeting.
- Let your kids know what your destination is before enlisting their help in planning the itinerary.
- Make sure they know what your exact budget is and fill them in on all the best attractions in the area.
- Tell them they are going to have to make some very hard choices.
- Let them know that each option is going to make a dent in the budget, so they need to choose wisely!
Taking it a step further
To make it even more tangible for your kids, allow them to actually see how much each attraction will “cost” them and force them to make better choices.
- Withdraw cash for the entire amount you plan to spend on your vacation and place it on the table.
- When a choice is made, physically subtract the amount it would cost you from the stash of cash.
- When your meeting is through, you will have your itinerary planned and your kids will have gained an invaluable life lesson in budgeting and decision-making.
Your Turn: How do you save on a vacation and still keep your kids happy? Share your best tips with us in the comments!